Can I cash and IRS issued income tax refund check for someone else?

January 30, 2009 by  
Filed under Questions & Answers

pure_imagination_75 asked:

My brother currently does not have a checking account and his income tax tax refund check arrived for him today, and she asked if I can cash it for him at my bank? Does this work like a normal check to cash or are there procedures I must follow to cash it for him?

Enter Google AdSense Code Here


26 Comments on "Can I cash and IRS issued income tax refund check for someone else?"

  1. confuscious on Sat, 31st Jan 2009 2:52 am 


  2. Brian G on Sat, 31st Jan 2009 4:30 pm 

    An IRS refund check is just another check and can be cashed anywhere that cashes checks. If your brother signs it over to you and it is within your bank’s policy to accept and cash third party checks, you can cash it for him.

  3. (_)iiiiD on Tue, 3rd Feb 2009 5:08 am 

    just have her sign it on the back, then you sign it, and then deposit it in your ATM machine and it should go through in a few days…this way you don’t give a teller the chance to tell you to your face that you can’t do that….
    Tell her/him to teach you English, Retard.

  4. laughter_every_day on Thu, 5th Feb 2009 4:37 am 

    It is just like any other check. If he endorses it and gives it to you, then you can negotiate it. Your bank will probably be hesitant to just cash it, but would allow you to deposit it into your account.

  5. STEVEN F on Thu, 5th Feb 2009 4:20 pm 

    It does work like any other check. You can’t cash it unless he endorses it to you. To do so, he would write ‘Pay to the order of (your name)’ above his signature on the back of the check. You would have to sign below his name. The bank may not accept this anyway. I recommend you and your brother go to yo-yr bank together show your IDs to the teller and ask for help.

    (_)iiiiD is wrong about ATM deposits. A teller DOES handle checks from ATM deposits. The bank where I work routinely returns checks deposited though ATMs for all the same reasons we would refuse to cash them in person.

  6. MISS-MARY on Thu, 5th Feb 2009 8:39 pm 

    Is he a he or a she? First you can have him sign the check over to you and they may cash it. Otherwise they porbably won’t. Some banks want you to have the amount in the account before cashing it these days since there is so much fraud. Also, she, he can probably go to a store that they shop at a lot and get them to cash it if it’s not enormous. They may want to open a free checking at a bank and save some of the money. Just a thought. It might be needed down the line.

  7. ricks on Sat, 7th Feb 2009 12:45 pm 

    No. Most banks now don’t accept 3rd party checks. It is too risky for them for fraud. In my branch, I will not take a 3rd party Federal check. IRS or not. There are very specific rules the banks must follow for these. If your brother wants to do something tricky, the IRS can come back to your bank after 6 years to get the money back. Not worth the hassle.

    Lots of banks have different rules. To be safe, have him go with you (without signing it) so when they turn you away, he will not have a check signed over to you that he, now cant cash himself. Have him open a savings account somewhere

    Also, the ATM fraud that (__)iiiD told you to do, doesnt work. The IRS can demand that you pay it back to them. Even if you gave the money away.

  8. M Miller on Sun, 31st May 2009 8:33 pm 

    What if the check is issued to both you and your husband, but the refund is due to you and you have no bank account?

  9. ann safron on Thu, 4th Jun 2009 6:14 pm 

    A teller at my National City bank they would not cash our IRS refund unless both myself and my husband were present and gave ID cards. I made a big fuss and he referred me to a bank manager. The bank manager told me the teller made a mistake. They would deposit the IRS in my checking account, then made out a withdrawal slip for the amount and handed me cash. I had earlier cashed a state tax refund check without my husband present and no one said a thing. I felt they were suggesting that I stole the check out of someone’s mailbox.

  10. jorge on Tue, 3rd Nov 2009 6:51 am 

    hello everybody.
    need some help I just got my tax refund check, but was issued on may and.I live in mexico and went to del rio tx to cash it,also there is no chase bank in del rio to make a deposit, so is there any other way to cash my check?
    thank you for your help.

  11. mark on Thu, 18th Feb 2010 8:16 am 

    I am having a similar problem. My brother was recently incarecerated and his refund check has come. I took it to the jail and he signed it. I then took it to my bank (BofA) to deposit it, and they said no way.Now I have his check with my signature and his on it, and cant cash it. I did call IRS and they say the check is good for 1 year, so he will just have to wait until hes out

  12. Nichi013 on Tue, 16th Mar 2010 7:26 am 

    I am having the same issue, yesterday my bank called and said they could not accept the third party payroll check that I deposited into the ATM (which I had been doing for my boyfriend for the last 5 months and no one told me otherwise). They pulled the check from the account, overdrafted my account and I had to find a way to cash it and re-deposit it. Not fun, not easy, and most banks will not cash a third party check or allow you to just deposit it, nor will they cash a government check without an account. Thanks to 9/11, I have been hunting all day to find a place to cash his income tax check. Wal-mart will only due up to 3000.00 and other check cashing places do up to 1000.00 with huge fees. Good luck, I def. feel your pain.

  13. fretyy on Tue, 27th Apr 2010 3:37 am 

    My brother is in jail and his income tax came to my address. Can cash it if I have him sign it?

  14. Cecilia Allyn Pitts on Sat, 18th Dec 2010 1:38 pm 

    I have a Federal Tax Return check from my best friend who is currently incarcerated for the next two years. I have a noterized letter giving me power of attorney to cash it. The check has been signed over to me, I have her birth certificate, and drivers license. My personal bank and all other check cashing facilities are refusing to cash or give any information on how I may obtain funds for this money owed to her. If anyone has any info on how I may cash this please contact me at 575-642-8815 Cecilia Allyn Pitts 1730 E. Madrid, Las Cruces, N.M. 88001 or e-mail Thank you very much for any assistance you may offer. Cecilia Pitts

  15. KCMOM on Mon, 6th Jun 2011 7:40 pm 

    With the new stricter banking laws the banks would not even accept my power of attorney. my son had a bank account but it was closed for being dormant too long. I have banked there along time and they would not allow him to sign it over to me and me to deposit it my account. Both people have to be present with ID now.

  16. Quinn S on Wed, 6th Jul 2011 8:27 am 

    Can you take a IRS check to one of those check cashing places and have them cash it for you? Isn’t the reason why they’re in business because they have less policies?

  17. Vikki C on Thu, 27th Oct 2011 6:33 am 

    I have a third party check that states ‘no third part endorsements’, it is not a federal check but a private business out of state naturally. it is made to my son for which i have a power of attorney that his attorney drew up. I’m not sure if my bank will even take that! Can I open a joint account with him with the POA?

  18. meeee on Wed, 16th Nov 2011 12:58 am 

    just go to any western union and they will help you

  19. Rita Anderson on Mon, 30th Jan 2012 1:52 pm 

    I cashed an IRS check for 6000.00 dollars for a friends brother, i know nothing about her brother so i am now reluctant to giving her this large amount of money with his knowledge. (mind you when the check was deposited into my account i thought the check was for 600.00. Do i need to call the IRS to MAKE sure this is a legal check issued. thanks any information will help.

  20. Darnell on Mon, 30th Jan 2012 3:40 pm 

    Rita, its gott be a legal check.. you cant counterfeit a Dept of Treaury check without anybody catching it.. What bank do you have if you dont mind saying?

  21. T Ngo EA on Fri, 9th Mar 2012 2:52 pm 

    Have your brother go to a Walmart with his ID or driver’s license and cash it out. Their fees are reasonable ($3 for any amount under $1,000; if over $1,000 it would be $6). Hope this helps.

  22. Christina on Wed, 18th Apr 2012 9:04 pm 

    I recieved a check in my husbands name from IRS he is currently incercerated i have the power of attorney an it stamped an notarized , we have no bank accounts . An i’ve tried all day at banks , check cashing places , an no luck does anyone one out there with any suggestions ???????

  23. rich on Sun, 16th Dec 2012 5:24 pm 

    yes i was incarcerated for 3 months my ex girlfriends father opened my mail which was my state treasury check forged my name and cashed my check into his account. he had no power of attorney, i never signed anything there was no notorized letter and i never gave him permission. what will happen to him. plus on top of that i had 4 un accounted for w-2 that where thrown out. what are the chances. im affraid he wont get anything done only because hes a wealthy man with money he was a batallion cheif fire fighter who done this. and i am wondering what can happen .

  24. Ivan on Mon, 21st Oct 2013 12:59 pm 

    My father has his couzins IRS check. His couzin is in mexico and he sent my father a power of attornery letter stamped notarized with witnesses and everything. My father is scared something bad will happen if he goes to a bank. The bank cant take the check away from him right?

  25. East Meadow Roofing's roof service information on Wed, 12th Feb 2014 5:23 pm 

    Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better!

    Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate!He always kept chatting about this.

    I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure hee will have a good
    read. Thank you for sharing!

  26. roofing companies Vancouver on Sun, 25th May 2014 6:35 am 

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and
    I am waiting for your next post thank you once again.

    Here is my page: roofing companies Vancouver

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!