How can I get my offset (for student loans) tax refund back?

March 20, 2009 by  
Filed under Questions & Answers, Refunds

benemma1802 asked:

The federal government took my tax refund for repayment of a student loan that was in default. I made a repayment agreement with the lender and have met that obligation. Is there any way to get my money? I really, really need it. Thanks!

Enter Google AdSense Code Here


8 Comments on "How can I get my offset (for student loans) tax refund back?"

  1. bostonianinmo on Mon, 23rd Mar 2009 5:41 am 

    Nope. Your agreement with the lender will include the money from the offset which will reduce your debt. However, if your loan is still in default, they’ll continue to offset your tax refunds until the debt is paid in full, agreement or no agreement.

  2. STEVEN F on Wed, 25th Mar 2009 7:43 am 

    All repayment agreements include a provision that your tax refund will be used as a payment under the agreement. The only way to avoid that is not to be due a refund until the debt is paid in full. If your budget doesn’t work without your refund, you budget doesn’t work PERIOD. You either need to reduce your spending or increase your income. A one time refund does neither.

  3. Amy F on Fri, 27th Mar 2009 9:09 pm 

    If you are under extreme financial hardship, you may be able to get your refund back. It is a difficult process and there are no guarantees.

    Try this website:

  4. flea408 on Mon, 20th Dec 2010 11:31 am 

    So, they also took my refund last year of 5,699.00 and I wasnt even in default. The money has been coming out of a bank account for over two years, and as I said wasnt in default, but since I didnt make a payment arrangement with my new lender, because I consolidated all my loans from sallie mae,they offset me anyway. Is there anyway to get that money back or some of it, and who can i talk to if I was making payments and now I am really struggling financially and need some of that back???? Anyone know bout this????

  5. Val on Mon, 11th Jul 2011 12:58 pm 

    The same thing happened to me. I was making payments on my loan and they mistakenly took my refund. I wrote a letter and they sent me a letter in response to say that it was an error. You can get it returned to you, however it took a long time to get refund back. The letter says that it will take 6-8 weeks to receive the refund check, but it is more like 4 months.

  6. susana on Sun, 6th Nov 2011 10:26 am 

    If my defaulted student loan has already been payed in full for a few months now will my taxes still be offset?

  7. what to do to get pregnant on Wed, 11th Sep 2013 7:28 am 

    Hello! I just would like to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent information
    you have right here on this post. I am coming back to your website for more soon.

  8. kazino27 on Wed, 6th Aug 2014 2:35 am 

    ??????? ???????? blackjack, ? ????? ??????? ???????? ????????? ???? [url=]?????? ??????? ?? ?????? qiwi wallet[/url] ??????? ???????? ?????? ????????? ???????? ??? ?????? crystal palace hotel.

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!